Saturday, October 29, 2011

Plan an interest-based lesson. What does it look like? How will you measure it's success?

I think I did this. I wanted to teach animal adaptations. I used my "antique" Newbridge Big Books, and allowed students to choose an animal from an environment. The kids got really excited when I showed them the books, and most knew immediately what animal they wanted to do and who they wanted to work with. They formed interest groups. My immediate measure of success was that all of the students were very engaged. They also had a choice of poster or newspaper to tell about the animal. Not all the finished projects clearly show the 3 adaptations, so I asked the children in the groups what the adaptations were.

5 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I love lessons that revolve around animals. Students do not know enough about animals and habitats. All they know is what is in their homes or at their front doors. Animals cannot express in language what they need to survive, yet and still they survive. Students like to learn about animals especially at birth because they are all warm and fuzzy and cute. Any student can find an area of interest with animals because of the uniqueness each possesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Aleicia...isn't it amazing how animals seem to hold a universal interest for students? Anytime you can capitalize on a topic like this, it really adds a new dimension to the lesson. It's great that the students could vocalize their adaptations, but you may want to revisit this and have the students make sure they meet your specifications in the project itself. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also done an interest based lesson for my students that involves animals. We do this when we read about Jane Goodall. Students select an animal from my many Zoobooks magazines. They then read the magazine and reasearch it by using a graphic organizer to create a report. They also draw their animal. I use a rubric to grade these reports. My students love these magazines due to the graphic pictures and east to read text. I have to go through desks to locate them pulling out handfuls of them usually in boys desks and ones that don't really like to read. Dennine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I like how you did groups and will possibly pursue this when I hit Jane Goodall....which is soon! I like this as you are encouraging like interests as well as group work. I would be interested in seeing how you grade them. Dennine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoobooks are a wonderful resource, Dennine. What a great way to have students practice research, reading, and writing skills! Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete