Saturday, October 29, 2011

Make a list of approaches to help learners who struggle with materials, tasks, and projects.

1. The buddy system: that student who is more organized than me cane make sure that materials get into the proper folder and papers get turned in correctly.

2. Allow a choice of task. A disorganized student will find a way to organize a task he likes and wants to so.

3. Don't forget learning styles / modalities. A student who can't finish an assignment may be able to draw something and then do the work.

4. This year's class is SO ADD, but they will focus for the games that we learned in PD, and they LOVE it when I change the words to some silly song and sing. So music can be an organizer.

5. Less is more. Make sure the stuff that needs organizing is valuable enough to organize. (Never could understand why my son had to keep all his graded work in order in a notebook with a table of contents to turn in for another grade.Needless to say it was never100%!)

6. Use the technique of due dates for each small part of a project, rather than one date at the end.

OK, your turn!

3 comments:

  1. I really like your focus on choice and the use of a different learning style/modality to complete an assignment. Sometimes, as teachers, I think we miss the boat. As long as the students learn, why not give them the choice of how to present that learning? Thank you for reminding us of this. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I like your ideas. I have few to add and some that might go along with yours.

    One approach I use for struggling students is to go to others for their ideas and help. I find we all have our own bag of tricks and at times we get frustrated when our best efforts are not helping these students.

    Another one is to build a positive relationship. Students who struggle will open up about their struggles if they trust their teachers.

    Vary teaching methods.
    Give feedback asap.
    Teach organizational skills. Especially students who regularly miss assignments and have a difficult time with projects.
    Use study guides. I have been using study guides for a few years. I find that most of my students like them.
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great additions, Kara! I think probably the most important is developing that rapport with students. And I am so glad that, even at such a young age, you are implementing study guides. That is a skill that will serve your students well throughout the years to come. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete