Sunday, October 16, 2011

Differentiated Instruction Book Study: Week of 10/10; Ch. 4 “The Learning Environment in ...

Differentiated Instruction Book Study: Week of 10/10; Ch. 4 “The Learning Environment in ...: Choose one question to answer from each chapter and respond to at least one other person’s answer 1. Use one of the scaffolding strategies...

I love using study guides for math, science and Social Studies. The use of these guides help my 4th graders start to understand how to study and also helps parents see what will be on the test. It seems like 4th graders don't understand how to study and need to practice just like they practice spelling words. I always think about what will help my kids for 5th and 6th grades. Sometimes I worry I "baby" them too much. I really want them to become independent thinkers and learners.

4 comments:

  1. This is great, Michele! I know for my oldest daughter, she still struggled with how to study when she got to college. Some students seem to catch on how to study right away, but I think the majority of them, especially the students we have in CCS, struggle in this area. Additionally, if we think something is important enough to teach students, then we want to make sure they learn it. Study guides can really assist with this. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele I also like using study guides. I didn't use them at the 2nd grade level, but I have used them this year in math, science, and social studies. I make it a big deal that the older students use them and we are going to use them in the 3rd grade. Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scaffolding Strategies/Manipulatives: In math class, I started teaching subtraction with regrouping. A group of students had a difficult time understanding this concept. I decided to use the base 10 blocks with that group. After a few problems I was able to send the students who are getting it back to work problems without the blocks. I continued working with the students and will continue using the base 10 blocks with the students until they master subtraction with regrouping. I also will monitor all students to make sure they retain the concept. Kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to use scaffolding, Kara! Not only did you use the manipulatives, but you recognized when they were no longer needed with certain students. You truly are meeting the needs of individuals, but in a manner that takes no real extra preparation on your part, which is always a plus. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete