Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Differentiated Instruction Book Study: Week of 10/24; • Ch. 8 “The How To’s of Planning L...

Differentiated Instruction Book Study: Week of 10/24; • Ch. 8 “The How To’s of Planning L...: 1. Select or create an activity you might use in your classroom. Adjust it by moving it along one or more continua of “The Equalizer” (for...

Small leap to Great leap I think I could use in my classroom. I think this concept would work well with math. We are getting ready to start teaching area, perimeter and volume in math and science. We start by introducing it on paper and then we move to practicing it with materials in the classroom. I have found that kids need to actually measure objects with their rulers to help reinforce the concept. A lot of times they can tell me area is length times width, but they really don't know what that means. When we practice with hands on objects the students seem to understand. Some kids are then able to apply area, perimeter and volume to real life applications.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Michele,
    I noticed with our students that real life applications is what gets them to fully understand concepts we teach. Our students, especially in the 4th grade are curious. They love to investigate the unknown. The activity you have in store for them in math class will hit home. Some of the students will even see that they have what it takes to become architects, construction workers, engineers, etc. The first step to our students greatness is realizing they are great and second, plan lessons to display their greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the real life application of your lesson! I also have found that if the activities are hands-on, students are usually capable of working at levels higher than one would anticipate. Additionally, I like it that you are spanning math and science with this lesson. It is important for students to see the inter-relatedness between subjects. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele,
    Once again, you knock it out of the park sister! I love the ability to do individually or with partners, as well as experiencing math in real life situations. Dennine

    ReplyDelete