Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chapter 1

In what ways is differentiation likely to be organic based on both teacher growth and the passage of time in a given classroom?
The passage of time will lead to growth and development in the childen, which changes the types of activities they can (and will) engage in as well as the topics they are interested in and the level of independence that they have.
Hopefully, the passage of time for a teacher will add to the number of techniques we have to choose from in differentiating a classroom. Years ago, Canton City hosted summer Assessment Academies where we learned to develop and apply rubrics so that learning could be assessed in a variety of ways by teachers and by the students themselves. We also practiced writing units that were similar to learning contracts so that students chose from a "menu" of possibilities to demonstrate understanding of the story we read, or a topic in sciences or Social Studies. Later we added cooperative learning, where students would take the teacher's choice, but interact to achieve it. Then we added Schlecty's WOW, which combined these and more with the concept of QUALITY work. I think if I combined all these, my classroom would begin to resemble that diagram at the end of chapter 1, which to me resembles a heartbeat. Come together, flow out, come together; and which makes sense because all the models of engagement agree that there are some things better managed whole group.

4 comments:

  1. I love your analogy of the differentiated classroom and the heartbeat. Even though the environment is always changing, there should be a flow to it that is continuous. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year, a teacher gets a new group of students with different needs than the previous taught group. As a teacher, you are constantly looking for different ways to teach the same material you taught last year. A teacher is "organic" in the strategies used to engage all students in the learning process. We are continuously learning about our students and how they learn, thus the instruction changes from year to year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah I like your analogy too. I really think this book is going to be really helpful in getting the flow in my classroom. It has already made me think about differentiation in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Michele. Thanks for giving me such a unique and challenging group this year! Ha! Ha! I do think that we as teachers need to constantly be reinventing ourselves otherwise we grow old and boring in our routines that we have grown fond of, as well as pulling out the same lessons every year. I know that I feel great when I take the time to do something new and exciting and fun and that my students enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete