Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Differentiated Instruction Book Study: Week of 10/24; • Ch. 9 “The How To’s of Planning L...

Differentiated Instruction Book Study: Week of 10/24; • Ch. 9 “The How To’s of Planning L...: 1. Take a look at the 8 instructional strategies suggested in the chapter to invite students to link their interests with the requirements o...

I think I could use the Literature Circle strategy. I have a book on literature circles that I have found interesting. These literature circles are different then the circles we have implemented at our school. In these circles, kids all play a role based on their comfort level. My circle group has 18 kids. I could break the kids up into interest level groups and have them read the book and pick their various roles. This book includes supplemental materials for the kids to use. I need to get the book out and review to remember the various roles. I have been thinking about what to do differently with my circle group and after reading this chapter it made me remember that book. I think this strategy would work for me. I need to challenge my circle group more and this may do the trick! The students could help me pick the 3 books we would use. I would have 3 groups of 6. I am going to look for the book tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I am so anxious to see this at work. I really think that our children need directed opportunities to talk through and write through books. Until our kids are able to own information beyond remember and recall or multiple choice, they won't truly be the owners of the knowledge. If anyone would like to see Michele at work, let me know and I will cover your class!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am excited to see these literature circles! I would love to know what books you have chosen and the roles from which students have to choose. This sounds like it could be very powerful learning. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the literature circles. Not sure if I am getting the whole idea correctly. I have the 9 advanced students during my title time. I would like students to choose their reading materials on a common topic. Students will read independently, journal summaries of what they read, talk about their readings in circle time, and ask questions about other student's readings. I feel they will get into a great discussion about their books. I would also conduct a "Book Talk". Students will be able to choose an activity to share their book. They can make a book jacket, poster, act out parts of the book, powerpoint presentation, illustrate parts of the book, etc. These activities will be shared with the rest of the group. Kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have the right idea, Kara! I wonder how it would work if you created flexible, interest based groups rather than grouping by ability. That might be interesting just to try out. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete