Sunday, November 20, 2011

How do I help my students take ownership of the record-keeping process? Before I answer that, I must decide if I want to. I do want my children to take ownership of their learning, so I do want them to have access to their records, and to be aware of their personal progress or lack thereof. The best thing about an electronic gradebook is that students and their parents have access to grades and completed versus missing work. I do like to conference with every student, and for that the data notebook and graphing are very helpful. It's also rewarding for most students to see a consistently good graph, or to see a graph go up. The students whose graphs don't look so great tend to avoid doing the graphing. May be we could graph just the vocabulary questions, or just the open response, or the fill-in-the-blank are that would most benefit the student.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of students graphing their progress, Sarah. I think if you start with one thing, as you mentioned, that would make it manageable. Also, you could let individual students choose what they would like to graph. Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like that thought. Maybe they could graph one subject where I want to monitor progress, and one that they choose.

    ReplyDelete